Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Welcome to a Coding Theory Blog

Hello again everyone,

I am starting a new blog. This one will discuss the ideas in coding theory as I start working through the topic.

I am pretty new to this area but I am pretty excited about it. Many scientists have contributed to this fascinating field. Two of my favorites among them are also the co-authors of a wonderful book on recreational mathematics Winning Ways for your Mathematical Plays. They are Elwyn Berkelamp and John Horton Conway.

Also, the noted computer scientist Madhu Sudan won the prestigious Nevanlinna Prize for his work on error correcting codes.

There is one confession - the posts in this blog will be mostly without structure. An underlying theme will be hard to find. This is partly because I am hard pressed for time and partly because I am writing this blog mainly for my own selfish ends - to understand a problem I am working on under the supervision of Chris Peikert better.

I will start discussing from a bit advanced topics and if you are following these posts, probably a lot of mathematical background will be assumed (including a bit of mathematics I studied recently).

For eg it will be assumed that you are fluent in Linear Alebra and Combintorial reasonings. A sufficient deal of Mathematical Maturity will be assumed.

I still hope, if you do follow this blog, you will find the topics it touches upon a little enligtening - after all that is the target of this blog - to explain a few things I will be touching upon in a little more relaxed detail.

Thank You
Have a Good Day
-Akash

No comments:

Post a Comment